Main Forum

Rank up attempt

2 replies
Bunnies:
+2
Heyo! i decided i might as well try and rank up. So here ya go!
Attached Images
✧ Owner of Gem Universe ✧ Owner of Nerdisim ✧ Wolfgalaxy Staff ✧ Phoenix ✧ Head of partum house ✧ RavenPuff ✧ Professional nerd ✧
Posted Nov 26, 17 · OP · Last edited Nov 26, 17
Bunnies:
+229
Hey Ivy!
Unfortunately, we've scored you into the same class. Since your newcomers thread, I can see your improvement in the line art, even if it's still a little uneven. You're doing better in terms of light and shadow as well, it looks like you've started choosing a proper light source and sticking with it ^^

Now onto the critique:

You have a bit of the 'same face syndrome' going on, which is basically how all the characters appear to have simliar expression and structure. Try differentiating in your expressions, they help a lot with character design as well. For example you could give em some more emotion, such as sad/ecstatic, rather than a neutral smile. Simply googling 'character expressions' gives you thousands of examples, I took the first picture as an example:
Spoiler: Show

I also did a draw-over of one of your pictures:
I think the main problem is you seem to have some inconsistencies when it comes to arms and legs. E.g. some of them end up thicker or longer than the other one. A good way to do that would to be to draw it in stick form first, so you can see the length of each limb. Also, it wouldn't hurt to draw hands rather than have em blobs, especially since you've established a thumb on most hands.

With your colours, the shading seem to be very muted and occasionally hard to distinguish from the base colour. Don't be afraid to make em darker and mess around with the values and hue so they don't look so similar to the original colour. Here's a rough draw-over I did on your colours:
I think I mentioned it to you in chat as well, but try not to use the same or similar colours for the background and character. It blends them together, when in reality you want them to stand out.

On an end note, if next time you want to try ranking up again, do more backgrounds. Don't stick with ovals of colour, even somethin as simple as a grass field can really change your game :d

Good luck and keep improving ~
Das Pigeonman
Posted Nov 27, 17
Bunnies:
+2
Thank you! what was my final score? c:
✧ Owner of Gem Universe ✧ Owner of Nerdisim ✧ Wolfgalaxy Staff ✧ Phoenix ✧ Head of partum house ✧ RavenPuff ✧ Professional nerd ✧
Posted Nov 27, 17 · OP
NoticeNotices